Garden Robin

Garden Robin

Saturday 29 August 2015

A few More Moths


A few photos of moths trapped on 17th and 21st August.

Square-spot Rustic (Xestia Xanthographa)


Yellow Shell (Camptogramma bilineata)


Flounced Rustic (Luperina testacea) Most of the moths trapped at the moment are either various species of Yellow Underwing, particularly Large, and Flounced Rustic!


Ringed China-mark (Parapoynx stratiota) A new species for the garden and thanks to those on Twitter who helped with id.


Copper Underwing Agg (Amphipyra pyramidea)


Orange Swift (Triodia sylvina) New for Year



Finally, an Antler Moth (Cerapteryx graminis) New for Year. I was really pleased to see this species (from memory I have only trapped one before)



Butterflies

Finally, Peacocks and Red Admirals have started to appear in the garden over the last couple of days. Holly Blues and Gatekeepers have been plentiful this August.


I found this insect on a Cosmos flower - I believe its a Shieldbug (Common Green?) nymph - probably Final Instar





Some of you may already have seen a photo of this book on my other blog but I really am very pleased with it although its more of a reference book than one to read from cover to cover!




Its been quite a few years since I stopped collecting stamps but I really couldn't resist ordering a Presentation Pack of Royal Mail's Bee Stamps.





The delightful stamp illustrations are by Richard Lewington and the text in the pack is written by bee expert Dave Goulson.

6 comments:

  1. Hi RR, finished a little early to day so having some time catching up, I had a nice find in the moth trap last night, a large Red underwing, yet to ID which one. It was nice to have the trap out for a change, about fifty yellow underwings ! Others very much the same as yours. Will catch up on the post about the book, the stamps look a nice set to keep.
    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So good to see the photo of the Red Underwing on Twitter Amanda - a real beauty :) Ignore my question asking whether you trapped it - I now know :) I had about 50 LYU's on Friday too :( plus a lot of Flounced Rustic. Nothing new for year I don't think although I do have a couple of worn ones to id and one may be Dun-bar?

      So pleased about your new job but can understand you are going to be really busy for the next month so please don't worry if you can't keep up with posts and comment.

      The stamps are lovely - something to treasure :)

      Delete
  2. Just looking through your moths posts from this year and hadn't realised this was a new post! Nice selection of moths (I had a couple of Orange Swifts too, aren't they pretty!). Those stamps look way to lovely to use although I realise you probably are keeping these, but I wouldn't want to use them anyway. :-)

    I think they are nymphs of Green Shieldbugs as I saw one the other day just like this, but haven't checked. Not enough time to check on everything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) Strange about Orange Swifts as for the first years I trapped I never caught any at all but the last few years I have got dozens! Yes, they are pretty :) I found a lovely Angle Shades on the landing last night - will post a photo soon. Glad you liked the bee stamps - a waste to use them! :) I used to collect first day covers of stamps but these days just buy the odd presentation pack.

      I know the feeling about lack of time!! :( Constantly saying/thinking I'll do that when I have a minute and then never get round to it!

      Delete
  3. Interesting selection of moths, especially the Orange Swift, and I too have been inundated by the Yellow Underwings of late, though interestingly I get very few Flounced Rustics. Square-spot rustic is always one of those species which make me scratch my head for a while until I finally remember what it is!

    The book looks very interesting and I too sometimes wonder where some of the wonderful moth names came from.

    Kindest regards :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David - its very interesting to see how the contents of moth traps vary between counties! I have the same problem with Square-spot Rustic and Straw Underwings always throw me initially as well when they first appear. Have to sift through all the Flounced just in case there is a Hedge amongst them!

      The book is very interesting although, as far as I can see, only concentrates on scientific not common names. The origin of the latter would be interesting too.

      I bought another book recently which may interest you, as I know you like visiting churches, called "Medieval Graffiti - The Lost Voices of England's Churches "by Matthew Champion. Explains markings left in churches from Medieval times mainly in Norfolk/Suffolk but you can transfer the information to churches anywhere. I shall certainly be looking out for such carvings whenever I visit churches in future! I'll mention it again on a comment on your blog in case you don't see it here!

      Best wishes :)

      Delete