Garden Robin

Garden Robin

Monday 30 March 2015

Two New Moths for 2015



I put out the moth trap on Friday evening and was pleased to see two new moths for the year.



Early Grey (Xylocampa areola)




and Beautiful Plume (Amblyptilia acanthadactyla)




Hopefully, the id of the Plume moth is correct - there are two very similar species. I find identification of many micro moths quite difficult because many are minute, they are very lively so its almost impossible to get a photo and many species look identical to me!



Oak Beauty (Biston strataria) - I have included another photo of this moth as its one of my favourites.




I'll post a full list of species trapped later on my other blog.

2 comments:

  1. Nice to see you have managed to catch some as the weather has turned cold again and very windy. I can see why you like Oak Beauty, lovely photo of it.
    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Amanda - I was surprised at the amount of moths. We had rain overnight here so lots of soggy egg boxes :( I found the Oak Beauty on the garage window rather than in the trap so worth keeping an eye out on your windows perhaps??

      Delete